Saturday, January 5, 2013

Theme o' 2013

I've tried making and keeping New Year's resolutions before. It doesn't work for me. It's usually something related to exercise or timeliness, and I rarely make it past the first week.  So, out of bitterness, I've sworn off these resolutions.

But darn that NPR. I was listening to Diane Rehm the other day (this episode), and they were talking about, what else?, New Year's resolutions. More specifically, why we are rarely able to keep them. The show was interesting enough, but one of the callers said something that resonated with me. Rather than having general or even specific goals for the year, she names a theme.  Her theme for 2012 had been "completion." Now, I am very good at unfinished projects - UFOs as they're known in the crafting world (unfinished objects). But the last couple of months, more in an effort to not spend any money, I've been finishing projects left and right.  And I want to continue this trend! Sooo, I'm using my blog to hold me accountable.

Last Christmas, I started a table runner for my mother-in-law that didn't get very far. In my defense, I was pregnant and was just not up for much at that point. I got the runner cut out, transferred the words onto the top, and stitched out 3 words. And there it sat for the last year. But with giving birth comes renewed energy - lots of it for me! So I pulled that sucker out and worked for weeks on it. Every free moment I had I spent hand-embroidering the names of Christ on it. Sure, she didn't get it until today (January 5), but luckily I have a pretty understanding mother-in-law. :) She will enjoy it next year! We also made handprint ornaments with Garrett's little paws, and both grandmothers received those as well. My mom's Christmas gift is, as of yet, a UFO, but I will be unleashing my "completion" theme on it shortly. I can't tell you what it is because she will probably read this at some point.

the completed table runner - embroidered with names of Christ and quilted
{when I look at it like this, it kind of looks like a giant maxi pad. oops.}

Garrett's little hand - cheesy, but cute

Now I have to go - so many projects, so little time!



5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I need to think of my own theme for the year....

    That table runner is amazing and that baby hand ornament is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pahahaha! Giant maxi pad. That's all I see now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shouldn't the title be "Theme o' 2013"?

    And btw, Garrett's little hand print is NOT cheesy!

    Dadster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh yeah :/ I forgot what year it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The runner is so incredibly beautiful, but now all I can see is a giant maxi pad. HAHA... can't wait until Christmas '13 to display it proudly. Garrett's little hand print has a permanent spot on our candle table. Not going to put that "cheesy" handprint away where we can't see it all year.

    ReplyDelete