Friday, January 18, 2013

Stamps from the Sky

There is little I like more in this world than a good aerial image. So you can imagine my delight when I was in the post office the other day and saw that they had a new collection of stamps: "Earthscapes." Oh man, so excited. So I asked the man if I could purchase these stamps, and he was all, "I don't have any in my drawer, let me check in the back." None in your drawer?! You BETTER have some in the back! Why would you tease me like this? But, thankfully, he reappeared shortly with a fresh sheet of Earthscape stamps. Once I got to the car, I devoured them (one can't stare at stamps for too long in public or people get weirded out). They're beautiful. I learned from USPS.com that the stamps are arranged in three rows because they are divided into three categories: natural, agricultural, and urban. My favorite? Agricultural, thank you for asking! Here are the little beauties - go get you some!

In other news, I really enjoy Google maps, too. Their aerial views? Great. Their street views? Genius. I have looked up all my old houses on Google maps...

190 Dogwood Circle, Brandon, MS :: My dad built a really cool brick planter in that quarter-circle space, but some owner since tore it down. :( Big mistake, in my opinion.
103 Glen Cove Road, Brandon, MS :: The first house where I mowed! And went through some awkward middle school years.

5428 Sophie Anne Drive, Zachary, LA :: My favorite house we've ever lived in.  Good memories here. Mom planted those crepe myrtles and sago palms as wee seedlings, and look at them now!
>>skip a couple of rentals in college<<

6713 Rockwood Road, Little Rock, AR :: Where I lived for 2 years while I worked as an engineer.  I enjoyed this house a lot, but I was very lonely here.

 >>skip a couple of rentals in Austin and San Antonio<<


our current home in San Antonio :: The first house we've had as a married couple and the house we brought Garrett home to!
An aerial view of our current home.  Aerials are my favorite.




Fun fact: My in-laws, Ken and Wendy have two energetic Corgies (nicknamed the Baurgies) who require frequent walks. While they were out for a walk one day, the Google maps truck came by and captured them for the world to see!

You can only see one Baurgie in this picture, Percy. Maybe they didn't have Rigel yet?



2 comments:

  1. Yep, before the second Baurgie, Rigel arrived! So Percy is less than a year old here. They both still stop at this bookstore for treats everyday (been going on for 6 years now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13 Arbor Avenue, Topsham, ME. That's where we lived when you were born. It looks a little rough now (probably was in the shade when the Google Maps photo was taken) but it was a beauty when we lived there. I still remember shoveling snow out of the driveway, and then I got smart and hired a guy with a snow plow to keep it clean. It had/has nice big oak, maple and birch trees all around.

    Dadster

    ReplyDelete